%%wppa%% %%slide=291%% %%size=auto%%
Always built to the highest standards, the Packard was unquestionably one of the finest American automobiles of the pre-war era. Right from the moment the first car – a single-cylinder runabout – emerged in November 1899, Packard’s innovative engineering and superior build quality attracted the attention of wealthy clients. Cars powered by two-, four- and six-cylinder engines quickly followed, before Packard became the first manufacturer to introduce a series production V12 with the launch of the Twin Six for 1916.
An immense success, the Twin Six lasted until the arrival of the new-for-’24 Packard Single Eight, the company’s first car to employ four-wheel brakes. The nine-bearing, side valve, straight-eight engine developed 85bhp from 357.8ci (5.9 liters) and the line-up initially comprised ten models on two wheelbase lengths. Bijur chassis lubrication and hypoid final drive gears had arrived on the Eight by 1927, at which time the engine was enlarged to 384.8ci (6.3 liters). By now maximum power had risen to 105bhp, an output sufficient to propel the far from lightweight Eight to a top speed of 80mph. New for 1929 was the base-model 319.2ci (5.2-litre) Standard Eight, the larger engine continuing to power the Custom and DeLuxe Eights.
Packard increased the maximum output of the Standard Eight engine to 100bhp for 1931 when this Type 833 Limousine was made. Formerly part of the celebrated Harrah Museum Collection in the USA it was acquired in 1992 for an important private collection in the South of France by the preceding owner, who drove the Packard in the Paris-Deauville Rally in 1995. Purchased by the current owner from Bonhams in 2010 the car has seen little use since and is thus offered for sale, an excellent opportunity to purchase a superb pre-war limousine.