VIN: WA 92 159964
Control Number: 172463
VandenPlas Body Number: 15014
This is a classic VandenPlas bodied car with right hand drive (see Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Princess for a history of the marque). There were 178 of this model produced-at last count less than 1/2 remain thus making it “rare”. It has British TV provenance (Season 1, Episode 1 “Man in a Suitcase”, 1967 http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_112918-Princess-IV-DS7-1957.html ).
As seen in the photo original plates, original interior, and picnic tables into the backs of the front seats for use by passengers (an option not commonly found in the saloon, 4 door standard wheel base, model), and a wool head liner. It has wood around all the windows, and the entire dash (facia) is burl. The radio is new. The driver’s window wind is a very slick “speed” lever, one throw and the window is up or down with little or no effort. It retains the original tire jack.
Non-original equipment: The power plant is a Ford 300ci 6 cylinder motor with mated automatic transmission out of a 1980 F-150. It has tubular shocks vice the original hydraulic lever action shocks.
This car has been repainted. First livery is not known. First known picture shows it to be silver over blue. Current livery is black over silver. Paint is old but serviceable. No known body rust. Some light scale on the frame.
The car has graced the cover of “Carriagecraft” Magazine twice.
Took second place in its class at the 2014 ABFM in Kenmore, WA
There are some manuals including one for parts description. The tires are recent and in excellent condition including the spare.
- Hinge set for picnic tables missing. One complete, can be used as pattern. Same hinge set as on Daimler or Jaguar Mk X. Not same as Bentley or Rolls Royce.
- Right rear leaf spring weak.
- Heater to cab adjust broken.
- Power steering assist ram leaks. Not hooked to Power Steering pump at this time.
- Leather is original and faded.
- Rear speakers do not work. I have wired in temporary speaker that can come with the car.
- Interior lights need to be chased and some bulbs replaced.
- Facia burl needs refinishing.
- Would benefit from a custom forward radiator shroud.
How far one goes with leather, burl, etc depends upon the taste of the buyer.
- Bonnet insulation blanket’ with retaining staves.
- Manuals and history (incomplete-none prior to 1975) and motor/transmission manuals for Ford running gear.
- Several tackle boxes of small parts including light housings, some bulbs, screws, etc.
- The original radio.
- 1. The radiator was recorded in 2011.
- The windshield wiper motor and cables were replaced at the same time.
Thank you for your interest.
Mileage assumed to be actual.