Purchased in 1999. The car had two owners previous and spent the majority of its life in California until 2012. It was relocated to the Seattle area, but the car spent its life mainly in Los Angeles and San Diego.
The upgrades and repairs to the car include the following:
– canvas top
– reupholstered seats
– key ignition
– door handles
– stereo (back when cassettes were still a thing but you can plug in your smartphone)
– inside door panels
– silver trim
– wheel wells
– driver side mirror (is aftermarket, the passenger mirror is still the original stainless steel)
– back bumper (stainless steel like the original front bumper)
– high quality paint job (color matching was done from the paint found below the dashboard, so it was matched to the original paint)
– floor pans (there was rust so they were all replaced)
– tires (recently)
– just got a tune up and fuel tank cleaned, it’s ready to go down PCH or cross country when the weather permits
Noteworthy original components include all the glass, steering wheel, sun visors, and rear view mirror with the little light, Karmann Ghia script on the dashboard, hood emblem, glove compartment door, side emblems, stick shift, wheels, hubs caps, and the heat works.
In Southern California it was driven about three times per week, but it was not a daily driver. During its life in Washington, it was driven mainly in the summer. During the fall, winter and most of spring, it was stored in a garage and only came out for exercise once per month on sunny days.